11-26-2012, 09:14 AM   #128
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamJay View Post
Sorry to drag this up bu better to use an existing thread I guess. I even found this via SEARCH

Anyway, I find it interesting that people say that Maddad's are louder than N55 mids seeing as N55 has just a tiny resonator in it which I would have thought did a worse job at sound control than a twin resonated Maddad set . I'm also interested as to why people say that the N55 mid-pipes gave nothing sound wise over N54 mid-pipes even though you've deleted two Cats. Why would this be?

Granted I do not have a 1M but an N54 135i with BMW PE (stock DPs, stock N54 mids). I am looking for a mid-pipe that will give me more volume over the whole rev range, I was set on N55 mids figuring that they'd be much louder with no Cats in them but according to this...perhaps not?
I will also be fitting the y-pipe which comes with the PE, this will delete the N55 centre resonator. Will this make the N55 mid-pipe come to life or is the lack of sound in the N55 pipe due to pipe design or diameter? Now I think of it I've heard an N55 135i with PE in person and it was pretty quiet but I do not know if it had the Y-Pipe centre resonator delete fitted.

Seeing as Maddad isn't available in the UK I guess I really have no option to go there however, Berk is available so another option or of course custom Mids.

Can anyone offer some advice?
The sound clips that I listened all suggest that Maddads do sound louder than N55 mids. I have N55 mids mated to Evolve Race and I have nothing to complain, imo they are perfect. The N55 resonator is not really a "tiny" one as you described it, it is a single big resonator and by deleting it you should be OK in terms of having a louder sound across the rev range. The Maddad resonators are in comparison smaller than N55 but they have two of them, I think they provide that extra aggressiviness to Maddad not the pipe itself, the pipes are pretty same in terms of diameter and shape. With your PE and the mid pipe set up you described in your post I am sure it has the potential to be real good but beware of a possible drone too! I remember someone reported that his car had quite a drone after deleting the resonator on the N55 mids. You better make yourself ready for that kind of a side effect.

If you can find a pipe that you could borrow which is already prepped like you described try it with your PE and see if it drones too much or not, that would be the safest way to go. You can also put the N55 mids as they are including the resonator and see if they provide what you look for, deleting can come later if you wish so. Good luck.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0