04-04-2012, 10:02 PM   #14
Pete_vB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '69 GT3, GT4, 1M, 912

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
Perhaps wider wheels and tires will help in the traction problem you are experiencing. Is there a reason to use narrower wheels other than cost?
Yes, it was intentional to stay relatively narrow. My main goal was to make breakaway more progressive, and that succeed in spades. I could go wider and would for competition, but that would hurt with the heat issue on the street. I don't think it's width, though- PSS in the same sizes are much stickier at street temps and solve the traction issue without going wider. I don't have data yet, but I'd guess the crossover is around 90 degrees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
RS3 is a summer tire, ~50F and rain is not where it shines. In our experience RS3 requires much less heat to work than R-comps.
I wouldn't call it a summer tire. Pilot Super Sports, Goodyear Asymmetrics thrive in 50F and cold- those are summer tires. Even RE-11s are very good. These are Extreme Performance in the most extreme sense- realistically RA-1s are better in the cold/ wet. I'd call these low end R compounds in all but name.

With a little more experience so far I'm finding 50F is downright ridiculously low grip, 70 is poor, 90 (surface temp) is getting good...