View Single Post
      05-08-2010, 11:33 AM   #63
msos
always been a BMW fan.........
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Porsche 997

1250 miles.......officially able to drive it to its limit...

Okay now we are talking........First impressions...........perfectly smooth/seamless shifting under full acceleration(to about 5500rpm). Unbelievable, in fact any smoother and you would feel nothing at all.......... which makes me see why new Ferrari 458 & PDK systems @ Porsche are getting such rave reviews even from the enthusiasts.......

Coming recently from what I thought was quite a technologically advanced car (2007 Audi RS4), its 6 speed system was kinda clunky and slow for those who a looking to seek out maximum track style performance.......Personally for every day driving I think I would still be torn between the 6 speed manual, but as this is also a "track toy" (usually about 6 Driving Events on track per year) the DCT is 100% for sure the way to go.......Even for those days when you simply must be on the phone or are just sitting in traffic I love the fact that the auto mode can simply take over.........

I had a conversation with a friend who just doesnot get the paddle shift thing.....but I can tell you after 30 years of driving manual transmissions, there is not a driver (even race car types) who can shift as quickly, smoothly as this DCT system....... and if they are even close they are definitely pushing the limits of human capabilities and almost certainly putting serious stress on the clutch systems of their vehicles. Yes for most who cares.....the difference is irrelevant, but for those who every 0.1 second counts........there is no substitute (BMW DCT is the way to go). This tranny has me sold for those who want the best current techology with the fastest possible and smoothest shifts)....

One big issue I have so far is accleration from 1-2 while turning the wheel, is kind of difficult as the paddles move with the wheel so your right hand is at a weird angle to pull the paddle if you have the wheel at a sharp angle while wanting to shift........this is going to take some practice.....but other than that......no regrets........The real test is gonna come in 2 weeks at Homestead Miami with its first track outing (Breyton GTSr and Toyo R888's with stock suspension set up)...........Cant wait for that!
Appreciate 0