09-24-2011, 11:55 AM   #6
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBK View Post
It's not uncommon for companies to change plans to accommodate market demands. Just because the plan was 1 year production they don't have to stick to it.
The "stop 1M so we can make X1" argument would make sense only if they are sure they can sell more X1 than 1M. Given that they had a year long world wide waiting list for the 1M, that X1 better be good...

I think the switch over to F20 argument is more plausible... Sacrifice the 1M (and send it to BMW martyrdom) or build another factory for the F20 and delay production of an entire line? Easy to see.
I agree that it is not uncommon for companies to change plans.. but in this case BMW NA has not.

the X1 is EVERYWHERE in Germany. Trust me. And they could be selling X1s by the BOATLOAD in the US as well...I am sure they have given up plenty in terms of profit in that tradeoff...

I didn't mention the fact that the 1M also was never ever intended to be on the docket as a 2012 model, because it would be under the more restrictive 2012-2016 CAFE emissions laws. I personally think CAFE rules have a lot to do with it.. but perplexingly, the Z435is and 335is will soldier on with the same motor.... although very few of those cars will be sold, compared to the demand that there would be for 1M. Also.. those cars are made in different plans, not at Leipzig. I didn't put this initially as many REJECT this.. to which I say.. there must be a reason for making the car a 2011 model in the US... while sold alongside 2012 128s and 135s that utilize the N55, and not the N54 (and more specifically, the N54T for the 1M.)

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 09-24-2011 at 12:07 PM..
Appreciate 0