10-15-2010, 09:06 PM   #16
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: white 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
The stabilizer is mainly to absorb moisture in alchohol. That occurs immediately so I would add it even though you will burn the gas soon.

It is not worth the risk but I have let gas go all winter in my boat tank with stabilizer and without. I prefer to use it but sometimes I forget or get lazy. I just use the pink stuff they sell at Walmart and auto parts stores. Either with or without I have not had problems. But 2 cycle boat motors are pretty simple burning oil in their gas so they may be less sensitve than modern car engines. I never put stabil in the lawn mower but it's motor is even simpler.

Jim
actually alcohol absorbs moisture. that's why if you pour half a liter of water into half a liter of alcohol, you get less then a liter.

it's just down to how effectively the water gets absorbed, if the water doesn't get absorbed into the gasoline/alcohol mix, it separates and you get a layer of water at the bottom. This is where the problem starts.

the fuel pump in your tank has a screen that helps to keep water and other debris from getting sucked up, however, if the water in the bottom of the tank becomes too much, then it will start to get sucked up, then that's when you run into problems with your car trying to inject water into the engine instead of gas.

this is why you keep your tank full. Less room for air in the gas tank, means less condensation is able to form on the inside of the tank.

Now octane deterioration is a whole other subject from condensation in a tank.

Last edited by The1; 10-15-2010 at 11:22 PM..
Appreciate 0