12-19-2022, 07:34 PM   #7
One128i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '12 128i (sold), 06' MX-5

Mounts were new along with the shocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
That or the strut itself are where I would look as well. When I've had these noises over the cars I've had in my lifetime it's been a dead strut.

I do get that it happened with the wheel / tire change and so it makes a lot of sense as well...

You kind of have to have a feel for noises, take your best guess at what might be hitting or bouncing around. Can you find someone to sit in say the driver's side back seat, with the passenger side folded down, and see if they can get an idea?
What do you mean by the tire change? The shock could've failed right after the tire change (coincidently or causation)? I noticed the noise on the drive home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernDancer View Post
From inside the trunk, remove the semi ridgid piece which gives access to the top of the shock absorber. It measures 12"x6". Fold down rear seats, then get yourself into the trunk and have someone drive the car over roads where your hear the noise. If it is he shock absorber, you should easily be able verify. Maybe take a short video.
Now if this 12x6 piece doesn't work, remove the whole semi ridgid piece about 34"x17".
I see there are two pieces - one is to access the taillight, and the other is near the seatback with 2 plastic screw popouts. The latter looks like the entire half trunk liner.

I'm getting new brakes installed at a different shop on Wednesday. Maybe I'll ask to do a check...
Appreciate 0