View Single Post
      11-03-2008, 05:16 PM   #7
MatthewDFW
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '02 X5

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
I have a CF strut brace which came installed on my 135i.

On close inspection, the strut does indeed appear to be a very tight fit, just about as close to actual contact with the air box as possible. Admittedly, this is hard to see from the angle of this photo...

Although I had not planned on taking grand leaps through potholes, anxiety over cracking the strut will probably keep me on my toes a bit more. At the risk of stating the obvious, I noted that the CF portion of the strut does not extend fully to both ends; instead, you have metal (presumably aluminum) flat tips at each end where the double bolts clamp the strut into the engine compartment. I cannot attest to whether this improves - or compromises - the durability of the strut as a whole, but I'm sure it's necessary since CF is so darned easy to shatter (only a madman would go near it with a bolt!).

For what it's worth, I've driven 135s with and without the brace; for me at least, the stiffness is noticable (inclined S-curves and hard cornering). One admission: Until last post, I had no idea an all-aluminum version was available! Doh!
===============
Our wee twin turbos may be smallish, but they doth mashie yon backside deeply seatwise.
===============

Appreciate 0