View Single Post
      07-21-2012, 09:00 PM   #1
dorkdog
Big Mouth No Filter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i Montego Blue 6MT Sport

Is there a reasonable explanation for this?

Hi

Several months ago, maybe in March, I checked the SERVICE menu on my 128i at around 20K. I remember seeing 13K on the front brakes, 17K on the rears... thinking to myself 'Warranty expires June 2013 probably will get there by then". Then, I took a 6,000 mile trip. Took the car to the dealer for the scheduled oil change (this milestone passed on our trip) and now, the front brakes say 23000 and the rears 28000!

I can only think of 2 explanations for this, and I am hoping it's the first one...

1. The computer recognized that I drove 6000 miles highway and 'adjusted' the brake time upward because it assumes I'm going to drive like that fron now on.

2. The dealer upped the number when the car was serviced so they won't have to service the brakes

Is it possible for the car computer to adjust the total upwards like that? If so, will it now come down faster now that I am back to more city like driving?

I am concerned about this because not only did the mileage till service increase, but my rear brakes were checked in the yellow (caution) column on the inspection record.

Not sure what to think... but I learned my lesson last time and don't want to go off on the dealer if it's something else.

Any thoughts from someone with a clue?