11-28-2012, 06:39 AM   #24
Ammonia
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb135is View Post
Great info - appreciate it. I'm a "tire kicker" before I pull the trigger, and I can tell it's bothersome to the CAs, but it's part of my process. I try to tell them straight away I'm not there to buy a car at that time, and when I am ready, I'm clear about it.

I guess it's startling on some level because it's so inconsistent - some will do the search easily, and this fella required the guarantee. I think you're basically right about how he perceived the OP's intention, but in the end, he loses his current and former business, and for no reason. While it's certainly valid for him to have acted this way, I still find it short-sighted.
Yea I agree, its very short sighted. Its much better to simply be polite and entertain any questions the customer may have. It requires some sort of discretion in some cases though. We had a customer who literally spent a year visiting the dealership almost every week, telling us stories about how well his business was doing and how money was no option. He'd drive up in this Escalade and tell us he paid cash for it, and would demand us to find this and this car in this option and color, telling us we were providing poor customer service if we were reluctant, so on and on. When we eventually did a credit check he couldn't prove his income, his beacon was in the 400s, he had multiple repos and a recent bankruptcy. We all wanted to strangle him. The best part was when he tried to explain why "his" Escalade was registered in his friend's name.

That is an extreme case though. For me personally, I'll just use common sense. In the OP's case? I would have gladly found the car for him, since I know he is a motivated buyer. He just knows what he wants and doesn't want to settle, and thats 100% understandable.
Appreciate 0