thehalcyon
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 135i MT LeMans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cope View Post
Looking good, is it a manual?
It is indeed. I had a question regarding winter tires for it, perhaps you guys can weigh in with your opinion.

Dealer says that they just but on winter tires recently (must be slightly used because he says its 7mm vs 8mm of a new tire tread left.

I'm told the winter tires retail for $3290 or so new, he offered to include them for $2500. Probably a good deal but it brings up a concern for me.

I have fears of buying a used set on kijiji or craigslist only to find out there is a hairline crack on the rim, its warped and causes a vibration in the steering/car at speed etc..

Another point or concern is that I put a deposit and I plan on going there sometime next week to pick it up, but told them the sale was subject to a test drive.

If I test drive it with winter tires it wont give me a great or "accurate" impression of how the car is meant to drive during the spring-fall seasons.

Is it better to drive back home (474 km ) with summer tires in potentially winterish weather (still early but there could be a snowfall). I would drive slowly and carefully obviously. At least I would see if there is any faults in the handling or ride during my test drive.

Or better to not risk it and cough up the hefty price for winter tires( I'm used to my vw where a new set/package was around 900 or so)
Appreciate 0