View Single Post
      12-14-2015, 02:04 AM   #43
psamtik
Involuntarily BMW
Rep
Drives: 09 E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavpilot2k View Post
A guy wanted to race me in his pickup truck. Granted it had a piggyback ECU and was pretty good on performance for a pickup, but...
Then he started asking about the car and was surprised to learn that it is RWD. Then he was surprised to learn it had a turbo. Then he was REALLY surprised to learn it is a 6-cyl. He assumed of course since it is small and has a turbo that it must be a 4-banger.

So looking at it the natural assumptions are: FWD, 4-cyl, maybe turbo.

I would not accept his offer to race, because roads were wet and we were both at least two beers in, but I would love to have shown him just what my "little" (tuned turbo RWD I-6) rocket could do.
If he didn't think it was RWD, he probably doesn't even know what BMWs really are. So, you should just chalk it up to sheer ignorance that this guy has no idea what any BMW is capable of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
Wasn't going to but, lacking my sensibilities just now:

I'm not quite clear on how "Hanlon's Razor" applies here, sick and tired of people trying to seem "smart" on the internet.

Also the post came across as insecure over how satisfied 1er owners (all varieties) are with their cars here and just being a massive debbie downer. If you don't look back at the car when you walk away after parking, you're driving the wrong damn car.

Sorry, I mis-phrased it. The Hanlon's razor bit is directed towards the member (PopsnBurbles) who posted about his experiences "losing" to other cars. The member commented that some of the other drivers made direct stabs at his slow car and such. No E82 owner should take anything other ignorant drivers say personally. The car's looks make it something that's easily picked on. Let the engine do the talking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsnow440 View Post
Wow this car you describe really sounds like a POS. I take pity on anyone stupid enough to buy one...
The 1 has its merits, but you cannot deny the faults of the car. I can see you made a lot of performance mods - mods that would just as much benefit a E9X N54 as your E82. The only difference is that you would have a larger aftermarket segment for any body kits, wheels, parts, etc. You'd go just as fast too - if not faster with the wider rubber - but your car would just be a bit bigger.

Last edited by psamtik; 12-14-2015 at 02:13 AM..
Appreciate 0