Thread: Audio bitrates
View Single Post
      07-21-2009, 10:57 PM   #14
uofmtiger
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
I'm just thankful for the digital age letting us play tunes without static, scratches, hiss, and other spurious crap infecting the music, and getting us really close to the studio master recording. And it's so cheap now for really good sound (although I spent a buttload on Mcintosh and B&W) - iPods rock!

I never owned a turntable and never will. But, if you prefer, cool, whatever floats yer boat!
I have more CDs than any other medium (by far), but clean vinyl sounds great. Old scratched up records sound like crap and it sounds like those are the only type of records you have listened to... so you are missing out.

Many CDs have clipping of the digital "waveform" and dynamic range compression. This is not because of the limits of CD, but because of piss poor mastering related to the so-called "loudness wars"... Also, CDs only take a snapshot of the analog waveform, so even at their best, they are missing information from the original analog recording.

Not saying that CDs can't sound decent, but clean vinyl can sound better...Vinyl can also be recorded to a computer and converted to mp3/wav or whatever digital format you like. It just takes a lot longer for the conversion because you have to do it in real time. As a result, a few new vinyl releases actually contain a digital copy for your computer.

That being said, I prefer hybrid SACD because they usually have better mastering than CDs and get closer to the analog waveform, but unfortunately they never really caught on.

Last edited by uofmtiger; 07-22-2009 at 04:10 PM..
Appreciate 0