View Single Post
      09-25-2012, 10:07 AM   #20
firechicken99
Major
Rep
Drives: Black '07 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Sir you missed the point of the thread. No one is bitching on this thread about lag specifically. My point was this:

Countless reviewers say that the 1M has no lag. They said the same thing about other versions of the N54. But I do feel some lag which made me wonder if maybe there was something wrong with my car.

Since there are no error lights or codes, it's not something I can take to the dealer. If everyone here has the same lag that mine does, then I am happy because then my car is OK. So the point of the thread was not to bitch about it but to ask if my fellow 1Mers had the same experience.

If everyone here said that there was no lag whatsoever, then I would take it in and request that that they check it out. Now, thanks to the input of my brethren, I feel much better about it.

Also, there were several N54 335i owners that had cars with almost no lag. Then when they got them back from service, the car had lag and at first no one believed them. It turns out the dealer had re-flashed their car to quiet the wastegates after complaints, and the flash increased lag. My car had been in for a couple of services so this info plus the Mr. Farah again saying there was almost no lag got me wondering.

Now finally, I truly love this car and the bit of lag that there is is not horrible and the kick in the butt when the boost comes on more than makes more for anything. Still, in the quest for perfection.....if Dinan offered a tune that increased throttle response, even if it made the same power, I would be very interested in that because I do like quick linear throttles.

The OP.
Touche'. I am glad you are feeling better about it! IMHO the turbos on this car are too small and make too much power at lower RPM for there to be any "serious" lag. Which is why I was concerned peoples postings about "lag" were more perceived than they were realistic.

I think the previous 335 issue (which was not a 1M issue) is understandable as the documentation that Artemis posted indicates BMW wanted the wastegates only partially open so that boost can be achieved more readily while increasing fuel economy. I am sure this is what resulted in the rattling which every single person from here to Bangkok complained about! Subsequently (if memory serves me right) BMW changed the tune to have the wastegates more open thus increasing that gap, reducing or eliminating "rattle", and increasing the distance the WG has to travel to close and spool up the turbo, thus potentially increasing "lag".

Too bad the majority didnt take the time to think that dealing with that little bit of noise might be a trade-off for increased performance/less "lag". Is that a fair post/statement's to make? Or am I totally off the reservation here?
Appreciate 0