View Single Post
      04-12-2010, 12:14 PM   #27
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

Maybe Dackelone has a prior experience that causes him to be concerned about a rusty area of the master cylinder but I have bled brakes in some pretty old cars that had infrequent brake fluid replacement and I have never damaged a master cylinder bleeding the brakes. I've torn apart wheel cylinders for drum brakes that were old and found corrosion or deposits or something but it was grey/black, not red like iron oxide (rust). If you change your brake fluid regularly, I see no reason to expect any rust on your master cylinder.

I think the other reasons for a power bleeder are valid but I don't know about this one. I've never seen a problem that it would be fixing from the master cylinder standpoint.

I would also put the fluid into the res. instead of the bleeder. The disadvantage is you have to add some more each wheel. The advantage is not having to clean the bleeder nor run the risk of running out of fluid and injecting air into the lines.

Jim