05-23-2010, 01:04 PM   #33
ennislaw
NCO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BSM 135i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzy4135i View Post
... Everything is a compromise but I'm pretty sure most people would rather have low end torque for a daily driver. That doesn't mean they still can't complain about how they miss the upper end torque.
The US is a lucrative market for BMW and outside the M-series, I suspect the number of drivers who track those cars are next to nil. The anomaly is an unknown percentage of 1-series drivers. I think it would be great if BMW offered a track package for the 1-series here, it seemingly would meet the needs of those folks who want to track and those who feel the need to drive a track spec'd car on the public roads for whatever bizarre reason. I suspect almost all BMW users would prefer the lower torque for daily driving, as you point out. And I seriously doubt BMW will change that.

The point I was trying to make is the current power/torque curves are more than adequate for driving on public roads. Perhaps not sufficient for drag strips or tracking, but that's a totally different purpose. And I'm aware there are a few who want to use their DD for the track on the weekend, probably not the best of both worlds there and they'll just have to accept those compromises.

This forum appears to do a great job allowing members to express their opinions, disagree with others' and to just plain ventilate, in addition to providing an incredible amount of useful information from those same members. I think that's great, so everyone on this thread should be feeling much better now.

pge
Appreciate 0