View Single Post
      01-07-2014, 10:51 PM   #15
mleskovar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 230i

After too much research on the subject I'll add my .02......If your battery is replaced with an equivalent ah AGM or flooded cell battery coding does nothing but change the date of battery install and that is insignificant in the life and function of the battery with all other conditions constant (use/temperature). Information of limited value to you digitized in the car. The charging properties of AGM vs flooded cell car batteries is so similar as not to be a problem regardless of which one you choose. Interesting that flooded cell batteries in passenger cars, boats, and fixed installations are rated more reliable $ for $ than AGW. Black batteries in BMW = AGM (I didn't know that!). So installing an equivalent battery regardless of AGM or flooded cell and not 'registering' it should be no problem. Methinks the coding/registering is only important when intentionally increasing battery power due to usage needs (audio amp?) or installing a lower capacity battery which is not advised from a power requirements standpoint and it could shorten its' life. To me "smart charging" seems like nitrogen vs. atmosphere in tires when it comes to battery replacement. It could be extending battery life but that information isn't being released and from the reports of replacement I doubt it. I'd appreciate some real information other than "because BMW knows what's best for its' product" or "its' a complex system and requires it" to change my opinion.
Appreciate 0