View Single Post
      06-10-2011, 06:31 PM   #133
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesterfan1230 View Post
Wow someone comes and gives an honest review about the 1m and his experience with heat soak and you guys treat him as if he's trying to pull some elitist crap?

Get over yourselves guys.

I track my 135i with the SAME engine as the 1m. Also have Catless downpipes, intakes and other performance mods.
I have an LSD, Coilovers and part ///m suspension.

I also am putting an intercooler / methanol injection.

I can tell you for sure. After 3-4 laps and temperatures going above 250-260 you will DEFINITELY see a noticeable decrease in power. If you don't you're either
A. Running lots of Meth to keep the engine very cool and have dual oil coolers
B. Not pushing your car hard enough to feel heat soak
C. Not very attentive to the way the car responds and drives.

At the end of the day the 1M is still an N54 powered 1 series with lots of carefully engineered suspension package (Fenders, Suspension components even LSD).
+1

And wow. Just wow. You guys are worse than the absolute immaturity I see on VW forums.

One guy posted his honest opinion on the car. Can someone have an opinion that doesn't overlap directly with yours? Apparently not. He liked it for the most part but had some gripes. So.. someone has a genuine complaint in his eyes about a car you like.. That doesn't mean you respond with "OMG YOU ARE LYING THIS CAR IS THE BEST EVAR IT WILL NEVER BE BEAT EVER IT IS BETTER THAN BIG FAT M3S AND PORCHES AND EVERYTHING; M3 GUYS JUST HATE ON US" ...well they hate on you because you make yourselves such easy targets. There's a word for that.. oh yeah..

Here's somewhat of a kicker. The 1M is 90% 2010 N54 135i. There ya go. It's a 135i with the PPK (software and an extra oil cooler, 135i already has one cooler), LSD, suspension, and wider fenders for the wheels. Look up the part numbers on realoem. Same intake manifold, piston rings, "lightweight" crankshaft, intake, intercooler + piping, exhaust (other than the axleback, part numbers only changed due to cat changes for emissions), engine, chassis, etc etc.

It's a bit of parts bin car, prone to the VERY SAME heat soak issues that the _35i and _35is cars are prone to (yes the "is" cars experience heat soak as well, even with their extra oil and water cooler). Though I still love it and I wish they would continue production an extra year or so just so I could buy one, the fact that some of you half turned it into your personal golden calf is ridiculous. I am a proud 1er owner, and an admitted wannabe 1M owner. Grow up, and learn to take one critical point about an otherwise great car. I won't be coming back to this thread again, children.

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived... Mmhm.

Appreciate 0