View Single Post
      04-20-2009, 10:02 AM   #29
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

It's interesting what you can learn on-line. I live in Lexington, SC which is outside Columbia. I have not visited the Columbia SC BMW dealer but probably will soon. I looked at a 128i convertible at the Gwinnett, GA dealer and was treated very well. I was visiting my daughter who lives in Duluth (near Gwinnett) and we had some time to kill so we went out looking at convertibles. I told each dealer I would not be buying right away but was starting to think about it. I went to a Mazda dealership and test drove a Miata (fun car but too small for me (I'm 6' 2") and too little trunk ******* even though I didn't really ask to. I went to a Lexus dealer to sit in a 250is to see if I had enough space - I did not. They are supposed to have a hard top convertible soon but I think the motor of the 250 is too small (2.5l six) and the 350 is too much plus unless they add head room, I do not fit. The Lexus deal was noticably disinterested as soon as I said I would not be buying right away. Not rude but not overly helpful either.

Last we went to United BMW of Gwinnett. They had a nice 128i in the showroom and all I asked was to sit in it (to check headroom). The kids and I were dressed decently but nothing special. The CA was extremely nice, lowered the seat for me, showed me how the top worked, opened the trunk, etc.. Then she almost insisted we test drive it. Moved the front seat way forward so my daughter was comfortable in the back. Another CA kept my son occupied. We took their normal several mile loop and even though it was an automatic (they didn't have a manual) I was impressed by the car. Terri also insisted on giving me the convertible brochure that is about 40 pages - BMW is smart to have these, at least for me. I am an engineer and would much prefer to read than talk.

Now I need to decide sport or regular seat (leaning to sport), white or the medium grey outside, leather or leatherette, black or wood inside, etc.. I also want to drive a manual. Columbia may not work for this but I will probably still try them. If I can buy something that I like for $35K or less, at it appears I can, I'll probably get it.

If you ever go near Gwinnett, or if you want to try getting a price by email, I would contact "tpoff@penskeautomotive.com" or call them at 770-622-8326. I will probably take possession at the test track near Greenville so where I buy it makes little difference and I was treated very well at this dealership. They did not have a huge inventory but they were really nice to talk to. I have gotten follow-up letters and emails but nothing pushy.

I negotiated prices this week and ended up getting the best deal - both price and delivery - from BMW of Columbia. When I went in for my appointment to buy - after negotiating price over the internet - I had to literally get somebody out of their office to be waited on. After I got their attention, however, they were fine. No messing around, they sold me the vehicle for what they quoted with no negative remarks or attempts to up sell. If you are nearby and in the market, I would ask them for a quote by internet. If you are just looking for a test drive, I still think they are not a great place to visit.

Jim

Last edited by JimD; 05-22-2009 at 02:11 PM..
Appreciate 0