View Single Post
      10-23-2012, 02:49 PM   #7
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
Harold explains it here. He doesn't mention that it's an effect of MacPherson struts, so I'll add that from another source.

Quote:
several problems can occur when a car heels way over in a turn. First, the suspension can gain positive camber. This is worse in cars with MacPherson strut suspensions. With strut-type suspensions, the car rolls, but the tires don't. This forces the tire to roll onto its outside edge and reduces its contact patch-clearly not the best way to use the tire.
http://www.modified.com/tech/0506_sc...1/viewall.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
Most would think adding a large front antil roll bar would typically increase understeer. They are only partially right, but what they didn't know is why the vehicle understeer in the first place.

There are situations where increasing the the stiffness of the front anti roll bar will have the opposite affect and actually reduce understeer.

Here is why:

If you have a vehicle with so much body roll, which induces so much camber change(excess positive camber), your outside front tire is almost riding or is on its sidewalls(in extreme cases), you are losing tracting from the lack of contact patch.

By reducing the body roll-induced camber change(using larger from anti roll bar). With the tires rolling over much less and in more direct/flat contact with the road, more traction is created.
Appreciate 0