View Single Post
      02-08-2012, 05:14 PM   #117
mryakanisachoad
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 550xi + '09 M5 + '10 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommolog View Post
It's $2,250 down and $499 month plus MV fees, state taxes, licensing, etc. and it's a two year lease. Yes the dealers will try to sell you the tire/wheel insurance and other stuff. I'm in NJ and electric vehicles are tax exempt so I didn't have to pay sales tax which was a great savings.

"I'm assuming you're able shutdown a lot of electronics to maybe increase your run time. does it have heated seats? How much has your home electricity bill increased since the purchase?"

The electronics don't draw as much as you would think, except the heater. Yes it has heated seats and from what I'm told they use less energy so I use them a lot. I've been driving electric for about three years now(had the MINI-E) so I know a lot about the energy cost. The car uses about 30-33kWh to go 100 miles. Take a look at you electricity bill, it tells you what you are paying for a kWh; it varies throughout the country. The National average is 12 cents per kWh. So it costs about $3.75 to drive 100 miles. The car has an EPA MPGe rating of 102MPGe combined which is spot on if you look at my calculations. In other words, it's the equivalent of a gas car that gets about 100 mpg in it's energy usage.
I drive a lot (30k per year) and it would cost me about $1,600 per year in electricity, but I do have a solar array that makes my electricity so I'm not paying that now anyway.

Here in "Green" NYC, we pay around 22/23 cents p/KWH.

At that price, electric cars s u ck.

Mayor Green-berg, Inc. says we should ride bicycles.
Appreciate 0