View Single Post
      06-11-2009, 09:58 AM   #17
Add1ct
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i, 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tm30 View Post
The journalist was intimating that for $6000 less, one could do just fine with 230hp and add some bells/whistles.

Personally, I loved - LOVED - the 135. That engine is one for the ages. But for the cost, I want some creature comforts, and I simply couldn't stretch to 40K. I ended up test driving the 128i and found it had plenty of power and acceleration - plus it was an automatic, so I know the 6MT will perform even better. I already have a barebones 66 Mustang Fastback, so while I'll happily drive that un-air-conditioned beast in the summer heat for the thrill of the V-8, I was willing to sacrifice the hp for the sake of some goodies on the 128.

Being one of the very few that has a 135i with just one factory option, 6FL, I can definitely say that if I had it to do over again I would have tough time taking the 135i over a 128i with goodies. The plan was originally to get a 128i with options (sport, leather, ipod, phone and xenons) which is the car my brother has. His is plenty fast, especially for him. But then I went shopping for real after I sold my e46 and there was a bare bones 135i and impulse and instincts just took over! I love my car and don't regret not getting the options (I added some anyway) but I will say for everyday life they are nice to have.

Taking this back on topic- I was thinking this morning about this and I understand the premise of the articles title. For me, I am looking first to upgrade the suspension on the car because I feel like the brakes and engine are pretty solid from the factory and that the suspension is the weak point. That and the fact that I don't want to throw a tuner code.