12-24-2010, 01:43 PM   #1
1013mm
aka 1013MM
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: pokingly flush

Garage List
2009 135i  [8.26]
New Suspension Review ST Coilovers VS. H&R Sport + Koni Yellows VS. H&R Sport + OEM

Hey guys, back with some new mods for my car, although it's not too visually noticeable, it's still worth reading. I don't do too many long posts without photos, but since this a review of some great products for out car, it will have to do so bear with me here Also don't ask me all the technical aspects of the suspension I ran, cause I don't even know what spring rates are or do.

I got all my suspension work done and parts from longtran@ltbmw feel free to contact him! Great guy and service!

ST Coilovers
I don't have any photos of the suspension itself or how to car looks now (crazy rain in Socal ), but I will try to explain it. ST Coilovers are from the same company as KW's they are EXACTLY like the KW V1's but in a nutshell they don't have a lifetime warranty and is cheaper. The height is adjustable, but not the dampening. The ride is smoother than even my previous H&R Sport + Koni Yellow Shocks. Even though I can't adjust the dampening it was better than the Koni's on medium setting. I loved the racked look that the H&R Sport springs had, but the gap in the back made me want to go lower, but not H&R Race low. I find that the ST Coilovers is the perfect blend of looks and ride. I went lower in the back and left the front. I can pass through the bumps that I had trouble with in the past without my worrying too much about the suspension not being able to compensate. I'm just wondering to myself, why didn't I know about this before?!

H&R Sport + Koni Yellow Shocks

With the addition of Koni Yellows, I was more confident when I was passing bumps on roads without having to worry about bottoming out. My Koni's were set on Medium setting the whole time and I never changed it. In retrospect the fronts were ok, but the back need some tightening up since it would be too bouncy back there without some weight. The ride was overall bearable for a 2 hour drive. I would think I would have gotten sick of it if I was going on a 4 hour drive or more. The springs are actually pretty harsh for a long drive.

H&R Sport + OEM Shocks

When I first decided to get a drop I was being cheap. I read that the springs would ride fine with the OEM shocks. Man, was I wrong The ride was only good and bearable on smooth local roads, if you live in Miami, you should have no problem, but if you commute in Los Angeles, you will hate every bit of it. There was no rebound from the OEM shocks since they weren't made for those springs and I would bottom out due to the slightest bump on the road. The look was good, but the drive was horrible, especially on bumpier roads. I quickly got Koni Yellows after a month.

OEM Non-Sport + OEM Shocks

When I first got the car I thought to myself, man! this car is low and looks great. Of course it was not until I got a drop that I was actually low. I felt that BMW had dumbed down the suspension. Coming from a E90 3-Series, I thought the handling would be better especially since the car was smaller and sportier. There was too much body roll for me and it was a bit floaty. This set up is really made for comfort IMO. When I think back, this is the setup to stay with if you like hassle-free suspension and comfort on long journeys or on bumpy roads. I would still angle into dips and driveways, but not much, never bottomed out.

I got all my suspension work done and parts from longtran@ltbmw feel free to contact him! Great guy and service!