View Single Post
      10-31-2011, 09:43 AM   #7
lcrain
Captain
Rep
Drives: e36 m3, TT-RS

The cars are comparable, but to me they fit two slightly different niches. They are both BMWs so they have that special feel and balance not too many cars have. Both handle well (M3 handles great). Engines are totally different though. 135 is quick, and the n54, n55 are easy to extract more power out of if thats your thing. The M3 will out handle the 135 unless you throw some serious money at the 135's suspension and it has an LSD to boot.

Thus to me it really depends on what you are looking to do with the car. I like the 135, but love the M3. The looks, the high strung engine, the track focused suspension all appeal to me in the M3. If you are looking for a great car to track that is easy to drive to the limit, the M3 is for you. If this car is a daily/all around car then I would highly consider the 135. Boost is very usable on a daily basis, which is the opposite of the M3's engine characteristics. Maintenance will be more costly with the M3, but you probably already know that. 135 will probably be a similar basket of problems once the warranty is finished, especially those with the n54.

I own neither, but like you am in the market for a car in the next few months. Really trying to find a 1m at a reasonable price (msrp) but that is proving to be impossible. May look at new e46 m3s or 08/09 e90 m3s. Drove a cayman r for the hell of it (way out of my price range) and it has me thinking cayman s is a good possibility. That car felt perfect. Good luck with your decision.
Appreciate 0