05-11-2012, 09:10 AM   #5
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmDrei View Post
@Sheil: I can tell you one thing for sure... try to drive THAT time on THAT track variant with a true stock car and I guarantee you, that 98% of the drivers trying will not finish that lap. A stock 1M does not work very well on the Nordschleife when really driven fast and it is a real handful. I always have to grin, when I read "almost stock" somewhere and they have replaced the seats, the shocks / springs and are running semis. I am yet to see a lap by a true stock car that even comes close to that time. My personal best is over 30 seconds off and I know my way around the track a little. I know about four or five 1M owners that I know have the capabilities to maybe beat HvS time. But none of them drives the Nordschleife in a stock 1M anymore.
Advevo's "tourist" lap chasing a M3 GTS was with a stock car, other than seats and a steering wheel, even his tires were stock. That was a fast time and also was with traffic. Of course, it's him and maybe I missed something about that lap (I mean the car's specifications). In general, your reasoning and first hand experience in the Ring makes sense, but I have a difficulty to take it granted that the official time is really the best a good driver can do especially thinking some cars making better than that time but in almost every other track they are either closer or even behind the 1M times (Renault Megane Trophy, Porsche Boxster S etc.). As a professional driver Advevo stated various times that a stock 1M could force the 8.00 barrier. I tend to take his words seriously, I think he knows what he is talking about.

But then, as you said, for the rest of us making 98-99 %, 8.15 probably is already too fast. However, it is not and should not be the 98 % majority's capabilities prooving a car's potential, it is the better minorities'.

Maybe we will never learn this, since there are less and less stock 1Ms left around
Appreciate 0