siegester
Captain
Rep
Drives: '20 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kioneo View Post
Doing my rotors today. Once you follow the guide to remove the caliper (just like changing pads), just hang the caliper out of the way (and NOT by the brake line, use a bungie or ziptie or something).

With the caliper out of the way, the rotor is held on by a 6mm hex screw. Unscrew that, and the rotor pops right off. It may need a little PB Blaster and/or a whack from a hammer if it's got some corrosion behind it.

Install the new rotor and hex screw, and you are basically back to the process of changing pads.

All in all, it probably only adds about 5-10 min per corner compared to a brake pad change.

Also, having done my previous pads using the 10mm hex screw, I found it MUCH easier to remove the 18mm bolts behind the caliper that mount it to the hub. Once you break them free, you can spin them out by hand.

HTH!

Edit: 5-10 minutes per side for the fronts if they aren't too rusted. See my below post for the rears. A wee bit more involved compared to changing pads.
Thanks did the front brakes last night along with ps, brake, diff, and tranny fluids. It was all actually a lot easier than I'm use to with previous cars. I had to get new rotors as mine were 23.7mm (front)
Appreciate 0