View Single Post
      11-03-2011, 12:57 PM   #13
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by rldzhao View Post
The founder of Moton, Jerome, used to be part of JRZ. That's why their constructions are similar. Rebound is controlled on the shock via opening/closing small orifices and compression is controlled on the remove reservoir.

Last year, Moton upgraded its Clubsport line so now it is basically its Motorsports 2-way. I had this set up on my M3, and the beauty of Moton is its wide range of damping adjustment which really suits cars at the club sport level because you can significantly up/down rate your springs without revalving the shocks. Moreover, the dampers can be set to be very soft which gives a good ride. In terms of noise my dampers squealed a little due to N2 pressurization and the seals.

Ohlins (TTX line) are a completely different animal. They are a twin tube design with a solid piston. Damping is completely controlled by external valves mounted on the body of the dampers. Some of them feature through-rod, meaning the shaft goes through the entire shock, so no damping fluid is displaced inside the damper during compression and rebound. This means that the lift force due to pressurization is always the same and you can precisesly control the damping curves. These dampers are used on the ALMS M3s.

I've tried many suspension kits/springs on my 335/M3 (H&R coilover, springs, Dinan springs, Moton Street Sport, Moton Clubsport, KW Clubsport and KW Competition), and besides dampers, what is just as important is how your suspension is spec'd and set up (i.e. spring rates, damping settings, etc). You can have the best dampers in the world, but without a proper set up they will do you no good.
Great post.

How would you compare AST? Do they operate similarly with orifices instead of shim stacks?

Also, what, if any, changes to do you expect at Moton now that it has been acquired by AST? FWIW, I understand that a couple of employees recently left Moton's US operations to start their own company.

Thanks.

Neil
Appreciate 0