View Single Post
      09-16-2011, 12:37 PM   #51
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

The thread seems to be mostly about what colors work well, and it's definitely the fun side of the subject.

I'll throw in about powdercoating though - in my experience (about 10 different wheels (some new, some repaired) with different shops) it just doesn't ever meet my expectations. If you are going to do it at all, powdercoating is the method to go with. But if you expect a stock like new finish that will last a long time you will be disappointed.

Problems I have run into in the past: Durability - a pressure washer at a DIY car wash can blast away the finish (this is from a foot or two away, not right on the wheel). Changing a tire can grab the new powdercoat around the lip of the wheel on it's way off and rip out a nice piece of it. Hitting it with a socket, even lightly, when installing the wheels will knock a real small chunk off. Peeling wheel weights off, even after youv'e done one and know what not to do, will pull up the pwdercoating with the weights themselves. And as for appearance - the faces of the wheels are easy to coat and get well covered, but the inside of the wheel itself is usually hit & miss. Even though they turn it over to get it all coated it just never seems to thoroughly cover the inside.

Again just my opinion but based on some experience. If you must repair a wheel, get it powdercoated. If you are looking for an interesting new color, just buy wheels that are already that color. No powdercoating I have been around comes even close to the finish or durability, and yes these are from the "good" shops around here with the great reputations. They are best in town but it's no match for original. I for one won't bother with it again. it looks great for a year but goes downhill after that.
Appreciate 0