02-03-2013, 10:32 PM   #4
Pete_vB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '69 GT3, GT4, 1M, 912

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldorian View Post
What would you guys choose? The used price of 2009 GT-R's are now approaching the crazy used asking price people want for 1M's. For not much more you can slide into a GT-R. What direction would you guys go? Would love to her opinions.
Two questions:
Do you want to go fast, or do you want to have fun?
Are you a good driver (really, no BS).

You already have an M3, a similar but more civilized driving experience vs the 1M. What's wrong with it?

If the answer is that it's not fast enough, especially on wet Seattle roads, get the GTR. A to B the 1M will not touch it.

If the answer is that it's not a raw and involving enough driving experience then consider the 1M. I would argue (and I appreciate that I may be in the minority) that unless you more than occasionally drive the M3 with TC off (and highly sideways) the charms of the 1M might be wasted on you.

Also, not trying to be a jerk, the attrition rate for these cars is very high. I do seriously believe you need to be an above-average driver to get the most from one.

Bottom line: If you're looking for a full-range analog driving experience in a modern car the 1M is one of the best. If you're looking for top notch digital the GTR is near the best. Take your pick.