michaeldorian
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_vB View Post
Two questions:
Do you want to go fast, or do you want to have fun?
Are you a good driver (really, no BS).

You already have an M3, a similar but more civilized driving experience vs the 1M. What's wrong with it?

If the answer is that it's not fast enough, especially on wet Seattle roads, get the GTR. A to B the 1M will not touch it.

If the answer is that it's not a raw and involving enough driving experience then consider the 1M. I would argue (and I appreciate that I may be in the minority) that unless you more than occasionally drive the M3 with TC off (and highly sideways) the charms of the 1M might be wasted on you.

Also, not trying to be a jerk, the attrition rate for these cars is very high. I do seriously believe you need to be an above-average driver to get the most from one.

Bottom line: If you're looking for a full-range analog driving experience in a modern car the 1M is one of the best. If you're looking for top notch digital the GTR is near the best. Take your pick.
Thanks for the great feedback. I should update my info. Sold the M3 over a year ago. It was 6MT. The main thing turning me off of the GT-R is the Dual Clutch.

I'm a decent driver. Good comparison between analog and digital experiences. Hard call.

Just opening up the discussion now that the prices are getting more equal and seeing if you guys would still make the same choice. Before it easier as there was a much higher price delta.

The M3 driving experience felt numb. Primary reason I sold it.