02-04-2013, 12:28 AM   #14
michaeldorian
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_vB View Post
Personally I would not trade for a GTR straight across for my 1M.

I must say that's not because of quality or "value"- I think the GTR is a better machine on many counts. The engineering is superior in most ways. Fast-road feel and feedback are top notch. Performance and potential are 5-10 years ahead of its time.

The main reasons I won't consider it:
A) I'm living in America now (as opposed to Germany), and the ability to consistently go 3x faster than everyone else on the road is more of a liability than an asset.
B) I have a track car, so I'm not looking to fill that role.
C) It doesn't speak to me, emotionally.
D) The driving experience, while epic at full attack, is not as epic on public roads most of the time due to the lack of accessibility.

The 1M has some things in common with some vintage sports cars or say a Subaru BRZ- it's fun on the road at less than "ludicrous speed". And while I've had a number of street cars that needed to be traveling at spaceballs velocities to wake up, I've personally decided that's not ideal for life expectancy, insurance rates or general enjoyment on the street. In real life there is much to be said for going slower but with a bigger smile.

Basically I see the GTR as the leading wave of the future, while that 1M is one of the last of a dying breed of old-school drive it yourself hooligans. You won't be able to get 6MT for long (having owned DTC I will dearly miss the 6MT). You won't be able to turn traction control completely off for long (sad but true). Etc.

Ten years from now you'll be able to buy a much faster, more capable GTR and competitors. However you probably won't be able to buy a better old-school 6MT hooligan that the 1M. It's near the high point of a vehicle genre that I appreciate, and I'm in no particular hurry to move on.

Unless you occasionally drive like a bit of a moron on the street with TC off I worry the 1M may also feel a little numb (unless you track or autocross it). In that case something sharper like a GT3 might give you more of the instant feedback and feel you're looking for.

However if you do drive without TC I doubt numb will be the first word that comes to mind.
Quote:
The 1M has some things in common with some vintage sports cars or say a Subaru BRZ- it's fun on the road at less than "ludicrous speed"
Awesome response. I think you've nailed it for me. My gut instinct was thinking the same thing. In a way the E92 M3 was the same way. You had to rev it to the moon and by then your travelling at crazy speeds too. Hence, my STI felt "faster" most of the time.

My gut is saying the same thing about the GT-R. I just put it up for comparison because it is such a awesome technical machine and I've always had a soft spot for GT-R's.