View Single Post
      12-24-2007, 04:19 PM   #19
Jeff10236
Rep
Drives:

I haven't ordered one, but my interest too runs more to the 128i. I am 37 so I guess I think a little more in practical terms (even while indulging my younger/performance side, ala BMW), and I'm a teacher (so finances intrude on my thinking somewhat). 220hp in such a small and light car and the 128 is going to be fast and a lot of fun too- look at the 4 bangers in most of the cars in its size range. I've enjoyed the 220hp of the 328i when given it as a loaner by the dealer, and the same engine in the lighter car will be nice. Certainly, it will be a major improvement over my 2003 325i with 184hp (which is no slouch compared to most of what is on the road). On the other side you have the normally aspirated engine instead of a twin-turbo so it should be more reliable and last a lot longer and I suspect that real world mileage (as opposed to EPA numbers) should be a little better and you save several thousand dollars while still getting a real performer.

Now, with the pricing that's come out I probably won't be getting it at all (it is about $2k too much to be worth it to me). Instead, I'll pay near the same (in the mid-$30K range which is what this car will be with normal options, an extra $1-3K is nothing) and get a more substantial car and get a 328 (which will be cheaper on lease right now), an Acura TL, a Caddy CTS or an Infiniti G35, or save some money and get a loaded up Camry SE V6 or Accord V6.
Appreciate 0