View Single Post
      10-24-2010, 01:46 PM   #1
timo1980
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Question about RFT tire

Hey guys,

Last week I had the low pressure light come on while driving on a 200 miles trip. I immediately went to a gas station, added some air, and continued driving. 10 mins. later I got the light again. I slowed down to under 50mph and drove for about 20 miles. After 20 miles I went into a gas station, took the wheel off, inspected the tire, and did not find anything. I tightened the valve stem nut(which was kinda loose), added air in the tire, and continued driving. The tire started making weird rubbing noises, but did not lose pressure after that. Currently the tire noises are almost gone, and the tire has not lost any pressure since then. My question is how to tell if I need a new tire? I did take it to a bmw dealership to get it checked, and one of the techs test drove it, and told me that the tire is fine, and that he couldn't replicate the noise. I suspect that I may have damaged the sidewall since I drove on the tire for about 20 miles with very little pressure in it. I don't mind buying a new tire, but want to be 100% sure that the tire is bad before I spend $500 on a new one. So is there an easy way to confirm that the tire is damaged?
Appreciate 0