View Single Post
      03-01-2013, 08:27 PM   #91
1911A145
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazz View Post
A local BMW indie guy, Eurotune, says not to let your car warm up by idling before driving, he says to drive it straight away. Obviously you don't redline it out the driveway but he did stress "warming it without load is BAD". The old school warm up was for cars that had much looser tolerances than modern cars. Air cooled Porsches come to mind; a neighbour used to warm up his 911 while he finished his morning cuppa. Pretty effective as an alarm clock.
I agree to an extent....

What you should do is start the car, wait 1 minute, then drive the car normal/very low load/not much throttle pressure until the car is at operating temps. You don't want to start the car and drive it right that second, but you also don't want to idle it for 10 minutes in the driveway. The idea behind the car at a cold start revving higher, and dumping more gas, is for emissions. It is there for the purpose of heating up the catalytic converters quicker so they can work efficiently. The reason I say wait 60 seconds after a cold start is because you have allowed enough lubrication on little load to coat all the parts, and then when you drive on low load you will actually warm the car up faster. But I am sure this is what the indie guy meant.
Appreciate 0