View Single Post
      08-22-2011, 09:51 PM   #1
1mGator
1mGator
United_States
Rep
Drives: Valencia 1M

Lightbulb 1MGator's 1M European Delivery adventure Part 2 - green hell!

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Continued from PART 1...

We left Switzerland and spent about 5 hours zipping up the autobahn to Koln to see a friend that wanted to go to the ring with us.

We did a little "window shopping" as we arrived downtown.

Name:  window shopping.jpg
Views: 7661
Size:  89.9 KB

The weather had been absolutely perfect up until then .... first rain and a harbinger of things to come the next day.

Name:  first rain.jpg
Views: 7563
Size:  96.2 KB

The next morning we headed to the "Green Hell" with much anticipation not knowing what to expect since it was also the weekend of the "oldtimers GP"

Are we in the right place .... anyone take a guess on what this is?

Name:  fmc.jpg
Views: 7600
Size:  116.0 KB

Name:  stablemate.jpg
Views: 7955
Size:  107.4 KB

Yup /// found the hotel and a great stablemate ... and an interesting facility down the street

Name:  found hotel.jpg
Views: 7514
Size:  118.7 KB

Name:  bmw test facility.jpg
Views: 7388
Size:  99.5 KB

Now on to the track with the sounds of engines screaming in the air .... intoxicating! Right on time for our Taxi .....

Name:  taxi 2.jpg
Views: 7366
Size:  86.8 KB

Name:  what a taxi ride.jpg
Views: 7375
Size:  96.9 KB

Seriously, it was a royal pain getting up at 4AM out time to try and get tickets (took me three weeks) but the trip around the ring at speed and to do it on a rainy day before we took our car out was Priceless. I envy the members on this forum that live so close .... I would be so broke!

OK, retracing a little, these we a couple of photos I forgot from previous days. Imagine yourself coming around a bend at speed and running into this ...

Name:  ski man.jpg
Views: 7303
Size:  166.7 KB

There were several of them in a pack ... and I thought the guys on bikes were in danger ....

Name:  alpine lake.jpg
Views: 7333
Size:  133.6 KB

This area was too beautiful not to share ....

OK .... so after the taxi lap we decided to wait out the rain and let a dry line develop for us rookies. To our delight we ran into some more forum members .....

Name:  2 vo's.jpg
Views: 7371
Size:  143.1 KB

we were not alone .... one with the steering wheel on the other side

Name:  3rd vo.jpg
Views: 7143
Size:  81.9 KB

There was also some other good company.....

Name:  good company.jpg
Views: 7227
Size:  103.7 KB

Name:  good company 2.jpg
Views: 7308
Size:  84.5 KB

We watched for a while as people pulled up and through the gate to go out ... one of these is a forum member that was at the track day the next day ...

Name:  gate 1.jpg
Views: 7218
Size:  90.1 KB

Name:  gate 2.jpg
Views: 7250
Size:  102.0 KB

Finally, it was time to buckle up and get out with a little break in the weather, boy was I excited. The experience was incredible and I managed the line between crazy and safe pretty well. Mid lap, after realizing that i did not like leading a group into blind corners over hills that I did not know I found an e46 M3 that seemed to know the track and stuck to his bumper .... now that was fun. 1M was super fun/fast and gave me more confidence that i should have had in those conditions. Probably exceeded some of the break in recommendations but had 1250 miles on the car at that point We pulled into staging area with the sweet smell of hot brakes and tires and switched drivers (my son). Thanks to "frozenspeed.com" (thanks Jochen) for these great shots out on the track.

Name:  frozen speed 1.jpg
Views: 7336
Size:  95.2 KB

Name:  frozen speed 2.jpg
Views: 7228
Size:  129.0 KB

Name:  frozen speed 3.jpg
Views: 10217
Size:  95.4 KB

All I can say to all of you is this needs to be on your "bucket list"!

OK .... so in the beginning I told everyone that my first BMW was a 1988 e30ic .... so here is a little love to the E30M3 that I always wanted ...

Name:  e30 1.jpg
Views: 7274
Size:  133.7 KB

Name:  e30 2.jpg
Views: 7214
Size:  147.9 KB

Name:  e30 4.jpg
Views: 7152
Size:  89.4 KB

We left the track to get to a viewing area and watch some cars pass .... here are a few track shots.

Name:  ring fun 1.jpg
Views: 7217
Size:  96.7 KB

Another couple VO's on track .....

Name:  3rd vo on track.jpg
Views: 7097
Size:  83.0 KB

Name:  3rd vo on track 2.jpg
Views: 7087
Size:  96.2 KB

Name:  4th vo on track.jpg
Views: 7095
Size:  84.1 KB

What a day ..... we went to the hotel and everyone had a great time, food, beer, storytelling and getting to see everyone's pictures because Jochen was stationed in the pub. Car performed flawlessly ....... took one last picture .... bedtime (yes, camera shake was beer influenced)

Name:  bed time.jpg
Views: 7095
Size:  56.2 KB

OK everyone .... I hope this isn't to anti-climatic but the only device we had to shoot video was the I-Phone and the back seat passenger got whipped around a little. I think you can get a sense of the speed and blind turns - exciting ..... it was still wet as you will see there were two mis-haps.

So if you have made it this far thanks for looking. The next two shots are at the drop off in Frankfurt ..... This was truly a fantastic adventure for us - I sincerely hope you can all experience the "JOY" of driving our BMW machines the way they were designed, now the wait, hope she has smooth sailing ......... Auf Wiedersehen!

Name:  drop off.jpg
Views: 6807
Size:  255.9 KB
Attached Images

Last edited by 1mGator; 08-23-2011 at 07:37 PM.. Reason: added video
Appreciate 0