View Single Post
      01-21-2013, 09:45 PM   #7
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stohlen View Post
I wouldn't trust a coolant rating enough to risk it below -20. Its real easy for the coolant to be contaminated or improperly mixed during a service and for the coolant to freeze. I'd just rather not risk that. Engines dont like extreme cold, the engine components shrink when cold, and that essentially makes your engine out of tolerance. I'd rather not run it like that if at all possible. If you regularly see temps that low, you should really keep it warm in some manner before starting.
I've run 4 BMWs so far (and my son has one, too) over the past 13 years with a total of just under 500,000km on them all together. All of them have been started in -35°C to -30°C weather when parked outside. None of them have had any issues.

This sort of temperature is normal here in the winter, most cars have no problem when properly maintained and fitted with the appropriate oil and coolant mixture, in starting at below -30°C without a block heater. Even my Z4M with 10w60 oil starts without problem at -30°C after being parked outside at work all day.

I'm not sure what your experience at starting vehicles in low temperatures is, but we're all experienced in Western Canada at doing this, without any detriment to modern cars.
Appreciate 0