11-01-2012, 07:09 PM   #88
TomTom///M
Private
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M / Ferrari 458 Speciale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
OK, then your reputable tire guy is a bit off to say the least since you will not have any issues with the car's speed sensors or else just because you choose 1 size more from stock size. Going from 265 to 275 your tire diameter will increase from 26.3 inches to 26.6, a 0.3 inch increase (taller tire) which corresponds a bit over 1 %, that's it. Your stock tire makes 790 revs per mile while a 275/35 will make 783. These are not big enough deltas to give your car's electronics any issues and you won't be able to notice the speedometer difference which already reads around 3 to 5 % over actual speed anyway, like most cars. So with 275/35 you will see 160 km/h while you will be doing 155 and with stock tires you would read 158 or 159 and not 160! There are no other "problems" you could have with just 1 size larger rear tire.

Lots of guys here are with 275 to even 315 rears on stock wheels with 0 issues.

So, if you want them ignore that guy and just buy the PSS. Otherwise, just try the track tires since you don't care the downsides of those in Dubai conditions.
Thanks Ozinaldo!

I already got the feeling my 'reputable' tire guy was slighly stronger commercially (because he only had the Cup-tires available) than mechanically and you certainly confirmed the latter.

I'll go for the PSSs, since (virtually) everybody out here loves them. Will get them fitted on Saturday, will let you know!