12-16-2011, 10:06 AM   #99
Alex@Helix
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVANT123 View Post

So based on your statement above- I'm taking it that you have done testing to prove the stock couplers won't let you run over 450 whp with the Helix Intercooler? All I'm asking for is simple data- show me any kind of dyno in which someone says "I made 500whp with a Helix intercooler but I could only make 450whp with a HPF intercooler".. If you can show me this, I'm sold on the idea- all I'm saying is that I haven't seen ANYONE run into this problem.. YET

Again- I understand your design approach and can appreciate your insight into the future of 600whp+ N54's, but for us guys who only want a 400-450 whp car, the convenience of not having to remove the stock couplers is nice (oh, and not having to hack 2-3" of plastic material off your car like the HPF intercooler does) is nice...

Thanks for your comments and sharing Helix's point of view.

Regards,
Joe

Joe,
Im sorry but I don't see the logic in the first question. You need me to do testing to prove that air moves through 2.5 inches of smooth silicone better than the reduced diameter of that stock piping that I posted above? The 450 horsepower number is the number that you gave me based on your knowledge of intercooler design. Helixs' position is that swapping the stock couplings will help air flow no matter what horsepower range you are in. Whether that turns into exponentially more horsepower after a certain power thresh hold has yet to be tested as there aren't many cars that have over 450-500 whp. There is one, and guess which intercooler he had?! Either way, you cant argue that the restriction isnt present and that we eliminate it. What you can argue, and what I wont be able to decide for you is if eliminating that restriction is worth 10 minutes of your time. Thats it.

My reason for stepping into this thread is because I was disgusted at Wagners poor attempt to copy our design. The intercooler is a TUBE AND FIN design. Granted their tanks are nicely made but everything else is poorly built. That, plus the stock couplers will have this intercooler performing just better than stock but nowhere near the level of the Helix Intercooler. With the Helix intercooler you do not need to trim anything like you do with the HPF. On the 335i there is absolutely no trimming and on the 135 you need to push your ambient air temp sensor up a little bit and trim the 2 sq inches of plastic around it.

Last edited by Alex@Helix; 12-16-2011 at 10:38 AM..
Appreciate 0