View Single Post
      04-16-2012, 01:26 PM   #6
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
I know the conventional wisdom, in general, is that a stiffer front bar will increase understeer. But there is some thought that, on a MacPherson strut system like we have, the stiffer front bar helps to prevent the front tires from adopting positive camber under load. I don't know if this is true, but with my M3 front bar (the less stiff E92 bar, mind you), I don't feel like the car plows too much. Admittedly, I haven't run back-to-back tests or anything, and certainly it could be that the flatter feeling is just being perceived by me as "better handling."

Do you have any other suspension mods? I'm on coil-overs and camber plates, so that could be part of it. While I wouldn't describe my car as suffering from "snap oversteer" or anything, with aggressive cornering the back end definitely does step out a bit - usually gets caught by DTC, but still.

I haven't done near enough at-the-limit driving to truly understand how my car behaves at the ragged edge of adhesion. I think it would probably take some time at the track doing back-to-back laps with both bars to know for sure - but I don't see that happening anytime soon (or ever really, let's be honest here).

I suppose I could run tests on successive auto-x heats, but I'm still not an experienced enough driver that I'm confident I would pick up on the difference unless it was very obvious.