02-19-2013, 12:37 PM   #19
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcrain View Post
I bought a set of 18 in arc-8s in their most recent group buy. Went with the staggered setup (9.5/10.5). There are plenty of people running these wheels with F 265 and R 285 tires. I am trying to decide which tires would be best for my needs.

Some background: My 1M is my only car so it sees daily duty (~10-15 miles a day), and it takes me on road trips but the miles are still fairly low (~10,000 right now). The car also sees track duty (hopefully 10-15 days this year). I have been running the stock PS2s at the track and found them to be a great street tire and fine for my experience level at the track. I run in the intermediate groups, so by no means am I an expert capable of extracting maximum performance out of the car/tires. I live in Dallas, so I am willing to run an extreme performance tire year round.

So I am considering a tire that will serve the same dual purpose. Here are the three tires I am considering:

1. Hankook RS-3 in 265/35/18 and 285/35/18. These seem to be the consensus best performer in the category in the dry, but have some limitations in the wet. My shop quoted me ~$1100 a set.

2. Dunlop Direzza Z2 in 265/35/18 and 285/30/18. Brand spanking new tire, so minimal data. The z1 has been very popular and I can only assume these would be a step forward. ~$1200 for a set.

3. Federal 595-RSR in 265/35/18 and 285/30/18. Read a few "unprofessional" reviews which say they are a good tire but not as good as the RS-3 and the like. My shop seems to think these are the tires to go with for the price. The set will cost ~$750.

I don't want to cheap out, but that ~$400-500 in saving could go towards some camber plates. I am sure there are opinions on each, and I would love to hear them all.

Really I am asking whether you guys think I should take the chance on the federals or stick with the usual suspects in this category.

Any chance your shop has a clown or a shoe in it's name ?

EDIT: never mind.. I read further..

I got a recommendation from BJ for Federal tires as well. Of course then I got a dozen people trying to SHAME me out of buying Federal. " you can't put Federals on a BMW "

(The Hell i can't ! - I am thinking they would be great for the stock 19s when the car gets trotted out for pimp my ride type events like Cars and Coffee etc..... all they need to be is Black and Round and get me to the store and back )

That said.. my car has 14K on it now and I am still nursing along the street tires.. and to be honest.. I probably WILL cheap out on street tires for the stock 19s when the time comes.

How about a little redirect...

What wheels are we shopping for tires for? the Arc-8s you just got for track?
The 19s aren't going away are they? you will still have them for " winter" or road trip or " other" driving?

If so.. then NO WAY on the Federals.

Do NOT go with PS2 or PSS for a " track tire" when you have street wheels. Those are Street tires that can SURVIVE a track day, but what you need are Street tires that will do WELL on a track day, but can allow you to survive the drive HOME. If that's the case.. Go with the Dunlop Dizzy Z2, the RS-3 or the BFG- Rivals

All are designed with Track or Autocross day in mind... and you should be able to survive a rainstorm on the way home. I agree with Robert 100%. Anyone that complains about the RS-3 not being good for wet apparently must be from San Diego and not know how to drive in the WET. OOPS.. that counts for most Texans... hehehe.. Seriously though.. the RS-3 are fine in wet conditions but certainly not as good as the other options. If you favor the ultimate confidence in the wet then the Dizzy Z2 is probably the best bet.

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 02-19-2013 at 01:03 PM..
Appreciate 0