05-16-2009, 11:55 PM   #9
Caduceus
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 (sold), 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guran View Post
Nice! That's a very impressive time. What was your launch technique? Rev to 3000rpm and sidestep the clutch? Or did you slip the clutch a bit? DTC on / partially off / completely off?
With RFT's, I have recorded my best times using DTC (one press) mode. Best 60' time was 2.098 sec. Since switching to a circuit/sprint tyre (Toyo RA-1) I have been able to do better with all traction aids switched off. Best 60' time is now 1.929.

Generally I find that an aggressive version of a normal street start works better than holding high rpm and dumping the clutch. The car just has too much torque to make the latter an effective technique with anything less than a dedicated drag radial or slick tyre.

So for me, I'll hold about 1200-1500 rpm while waiting for the lights and then rapidly feed in clutch and accelerator at the same time. It's not an instantaneous off-on action but happens in a quick but progressive manner.

That way, I can normally get off the line with a bit of tyre squeal but no excessive spinning. I think you can hear it in the video quite well.
Appreciate 0