J Tyler
My ride: bimmergirl84
United_States
Rep
Drives: For free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkcormier View Post
Jeff,

I took my 135i to a local track on Saturday and could use your help with getting the power down on corner exit. The track was Motorsport Ranch in Cresson, Texas. It is not a competitive race track, but rather a local country club track. It is very technical with a nice mix of elevation changes and unique turns. The track is 3.1 miles, but we were using the 1.7 loop which has short straights and either off-camber or flat turns.

My car is stock with the exception of camber plates and wheels/track tires. You can image the amount of intervention from the electronic lsd on those off-camber turns as my inside tires get light. And almost as annoying as limping out of corners was hearing my rear pads chirping in machine gun fashion. I was using HT-10 pads and they squeal quite a bit so I could feel and HEAR the brakes being applied. It was a last minute decision to hit the track so I was only running my street setup of about -2 neg camber. I can get more than -3 otherwise.

What can I do to get more traction that does not involve installing a LSD? I am considering replacing the front sway bar. Would that help?

Thanks, Philip
Hey Philip,

Yes, adding a stiffer front bar would improve power-down ability (a little). It will keep a little more load on the inside rear tire when cornering. It will also add some understeer to the overall balance of the car.

Personally, I would try disconnecting the rear sway bar before I tried adding a stiffer front. That's free and very easy to do: just disconnect one of the sway bar end links. But either way, without a diff a stiffer front bar is going to help. So will disconnecting the rear bar.

Did you have DTC/DSC all the way off? I.e., you held the button down for ~4 seconds? On our 135i and on a 335i I drove, after I held the button down for ~4 seconds, ALL electronic aids were off except ABS. I found this to be faster than having the E-LSD interfere... you just have to be very sensitive and careful with your right foot!
Appreciate 0