03-17-2009, 10:45 AM   #43
J Tyler
My ride: bimmergirl84
United_States
Rep
Drives: For free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lib View Post
I'm not going to double check on the street right now so someone else may want to give a final answer but I believe the mode you're describing as middle "DTC" is actually the "full off" mode.

I may be wrong but I believe ABS is ALWAYS on regardless of which mode you're in; I've run autocross laps in both modes (DTC and full "off") and I believe I felt the ABS pulse in both modes. I seriously doubt BMW is going to let anyone turn off ABS in this day and age.

I can't speak to the e-diff but in the middle "DTC" mode I believe the car has still intervened a few times when I was getting sloppy (getting? Well, I'm always sloppy but this was a special case) and I believe it was more than just a touch of rear brakes. But it was at a point well after I should have stopped driving and I may be remembering it wrong

There's an open autocross practice in a few months where I can probably fit in 20+ practice runs; I'll try to remember to make a point of learning exactly when each mode will cut in.

Disclaimer: I could be completely wrong... this wouldnt be the first time
Cool, report back

Quote:
Originally Posted by john970 View Post
The first press turns off DSC and turns TC on. If you hold it down for a few seconds, it turns both off and leaves only the e-diff on.
Like I've said several times in this thread, from my experience, that is not true.

Quote:
Based on the above, it sounds like the e-diff has a limit to where it stops operating. I know some ferraris have a similar system that is supposed to be better than a real lsd, but it uses a different set of calipers/disc(s). Not sure how this works, if it's actually better, and how it compares to the 135 system.
Ferrari employs an electronically-controlled mechanical diff.

Quote:
I also remember lotus engineers suggesting people forego the lsd option on the elises because on most tracks it made no difference in lap times. Might have had to do with the weight.
No, an open diff is OK on a Lotus Elise because it has no power! Haha... It has nothing to do with weight. Any LSD will have at least a slightly higher rotational moment of inertia than an open diff, and therefore resists acceleration a bit more, but when an LSD is needed that is always an easily worthwhile tradeoff.
Appreciate 0