View Single Post
      09-18-2012, 11:41 AM   #10
Newlyblond
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Jet Black

Nitrogen. Etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
While the answer is certainly yes, my opinion is that nitrogen is a waste of money. Air is 78% nitrogen anyway. Paying more for nearly 100% nitrogen doesn't really provide a benefit worth any money, at least to me. It doesn't hurt anything, the question is just if it has a benefit worth even a low price. I've read the arguments but I just don't see it.

I suggested the match balancing because I think it's better and it might be a way to differentiate between installers. If an installer match balances, they are capable of more of a high end job and probably are the place where the people really into their cars go.

I also would not pay more for the BMW dealer to install tires unless I had information to say they do a better job. The simple fact that they are the car dealer doesn't say much to me about how well they install tires. I have no doubt they can do it but they do not do it every day like a tire place and they may or may not be good at it. There are jobs requiring special tools or knowledge where a dealer is preferred and may be the only option. But tires are not beyond the ability of other establishments.

Jim
I only paid for the nitrogen on the first fill of all four tires. $60-70, I believe. The dealer will top it off for me as often as I'd like at no charge, presumably because I'm still under warranty. Your point is well-taken, though, and I'm not as paranoid about tire pressure with the non-flats as I had to be with the run-flats (although I still do check it regularly).

I'm waiting to hear back from the dealer. I spoke to them on Friday, and they said that they could order the tires from Tire Rack for me, rather than me ordering them for drop-ship. I told them that was fine with me, providing that they don't mark them up! I will get full disclosure from them on prices before I give them the green light. The car is still under warranty, so I'm not sure how much of this I will have to pay for (probably all of it since I'm not going with run flats). If they are too high, I'll go to one of the tire places, but have no idea which is most reputable.

Thanks for your advice and input!
Appreciate 0