View Single Post
      06-26-2012, 10:41 PM   #39
diegorst
Private First Class
Peru
Rep
Drives: ‘11 BSM 1M | ‘14 Caterham 485S

So I didn't get enough pictures and I don't have time to make a detailed DIY, but I wanted to at least post the few pics I have and tell you how I did it.
So the first thing I did for this install was to remove the original shift knob from its base. To do this you have to carefully pull upwards but be careful not to hurt yourself as you might pull it right out towards your face of the rearview mirror.
At this point you have to separate the shift knob from the boot. These two parts are attached together by three pins, which you have to try and separate or break in order to remove the knob from the boot. In my case, I accidentally pulled it out too hard so it broke (luckily it was a clean break).
Once you have removed the shift knob, you have to remove the boot by simply pulling it upwards, then remove the foamy padding they have in there and you will see something like the first picture.
I was able to wire the wiring harness provided with the shift knob using two scotch locks (also provided) to tap into my car's wires. I believe I tapped into the wiring from the cigarette lighter, anyway it's the set of wires that runs from top to bottom on the right hand side of the picture.
The two wires I tapped into were brown and the other one gray with a red stripe.
Pictures two and three show how the tapping with the scotch locks was done and how it looks once its done. Once I had the harness tapped in the wiring system I tested the knob to make sure it did actually light up (picture four). The only real trouble I encountered was that the base of the original shift knob that was left on the boot (glued and attached under the alcantara) did not match flushly with the new knob (because of the wiring of the shift knob). So what I had to do was unglue the plastic ring from the alcantara, rotate it 180 degrees and then re-attach it and glue it again to the boot. There was more work involved given that I had to carve two slots into the ring so that the stitching of the boot would fit snugly (its hard to explain this part, I guess you'll realize what I mean when you remove the plastic ring from the boot).
Finally when I was going to re-install the boot and the new shift knob I realized that the wiring harness from the new shift knob did not go through the plastic ring I just mentioned! So I simply had to cut the wiring harness cables on the shift knob, run them through the plastic ring in the boot and then re attach the wires together again.
After this I returned the cables to the side, re-attached the foamy padding back to its place, connected the shift knob wiring harness and then returned the boot to it's place.
Hope this helps
Attached Images