View Single Post
      08-21-2012, 08:17 AM   #1
NeedMoreTorque
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i, mt

Question Working with CF Vinyl (Interior Trim)

So, after having my car for almost a year, I am finally sick of the faux-wood trim. I have ordered (and recieved) the CF vinyl made by 3m (1080 series).

Anyway, I have found a ton of good write-ups on removing and installing the trim, console...etc. So, I'm good to go with the actual process of getting the various trim pieces apart and prepped for vinyl.

I have also found a ton of good write-ups on using the carbon fiber fabric. But, what I am not managing to find are any detailed write-ups on working with vinyl in the interior. So, I wanted to ask if anyone knew of any threads from the forum or others that could help me get a better feel for how to work with the vinyl. I think I've got the basic idea, just looking for any additional tips I can find before I make any mistakes.

Just so this isn't a totally useless post, I also wanted to add the original spec sheets on the 3M vinyl...I found them pretty interesting.

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawe...--&fn=1080.pdf
Highlights for me were the micro-air-channeling and the pressure sensitive adhesive, and ability to self-remove small scratches with extended, direct sunlight.
Appreciate 0