10-04-2012, 07:35 PM   #64
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8fe View Post
This past winter/spring I ordered an ER wide-body front-end kit, but after 4 months and numerous missed "promise dates" I gave up hope and pulled the plug. Prior to that I had contacted my local BMW dealership to try to do this 1M conversion (a year ago this time), but they said they couldn't get the parts unless I had a 1M VIN. After the ER WB FE kit fell through I pretty much gave up hope on this happening until this past September I contacted them for a quote on the BMW Performance (V2) Power Kit to "treat myself" (b-day present) and for some unknown reason I decided to ask one more time whether he could get these 1M parts and now he said he could so I said I'm IN!

Cool that your 1 has the ER WB kit -- full props! What sized wheels and tires do you run front & rear on your 1? Do the lines of the car look good ("flow") or is it like looking at double-D's with a 24" waist?

I was afraid that was going to be the case with that company in UK (only selling full kits and not just the fender flares). But who knows? Maybe by the time I'm ready to do this (if ever) then they might consider selling just the flares? Or maybe by then someone else will figure out there is a market for just the 1M-like flares to work with the stock 135 rear bumper and I'd rock them.

But I think if I ever did that would be the last mod I'd consider; long after LSD, CAI, oil cooler, boost gauges, tune and a few other things I know I am forgetting right now.

Thanks for insight tho...
The lines on the ER kit actually work very well. the front flare to rear isnt as noticeable as people think. I run 9.5's on the car. 9.5 ET 30 front and 9.5 ET60 rear. I have some HRE R43's I ordered in E92 M3 fitment. The car drives great and you will be very happy once you get some wide rubber on the fronts.

You could get the rear flairs cut and widened without using 1M panels. You would be able to keep your 135i rear bumper.

Using a 1M bumper on a 135i conversion also brings up the issue of exhaust. Our battery tray blocks some of the space a 1M quad requires. So we would either have to buy a new battery tray, hardware, and probably some heat shielding to run a 1M exhaust kit, or have a custom exhaust to run a full 1M rear. I love some of the 1M diffusers out there.

I'm sort of weighing my options right now. I will probably just widen the ass of my car to fit the 1M/M3 fitments but if I am cutting the rear of the car, it would be the time to decide on a 1M front to have the fender well edges trimmed down to match.
Appreciate 0