Drives: M3, M3, M5, M5

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2005 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy View Post
TRW says there's no difference, logic dictates there's no difference...

exactly... being able to specifically sell off only low quality items (or specifically send only the high quality items to BMW) is an absurd idea if you look at how large scale manufacturing takes place, let alone the safety repurcussions of selling a potentially faulty item.

pretty sure it's already been said but

there's a difference between aftermarket OEM and the contracted OEM.. in this case, TRW is the company BMW paid to make the parts.. the right moulds, accurate specs, the right materials to the right grade etc.

there are OEM's that can make the same part for the aftermarket though, which may be of lesser quality... which is fair enough IMO, i agree sometimes parts can just be worse, of course.

the only reason any mechanic would turn away proper OEM stuff like say this TRW is if they want to push OE for a higher profit margin...

FWIW, i'm up to.. uhhh it'd be ~25k miles, and there's not a bad mark on them... will probably be putting them in the GF's' car soon too.

and As SteveAZ said, fuel pumps are another perfect example.. so are coils, and probably countless other components on our cars.
Not sure how they're getting more margin when people bring oe parts in vs when people bring oem parts in...?

Being by the actual manufacturer guarantees nothing. E.g. There isn't an oem thermostat for the s62 that doesn't run too cool. If you want to run at the proper temp, OE is the only option.

Glad the oem lottery worked out for you on this occasion. By no means am I saying that 100% of the time it won't work out-- just that it doesn't work out often enough that it's not worth the extra hassle for the savings, imo.
Appreciate 0