View Single Post
      08-26-2017, 12:20 AM   #35
yankee2
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i coupe 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris82 View Post
Yea I hate when dealers don't know this stuff. I remember someone had said the SULEV components are covered for an extended warranty, but only in California. Good to know other states (especially PA!) are covdered too.

Would the labor having them installed be warrantied though?
This is only logic, and not law, but I don't think the warrantee can apply only in CA. That would put even original SULEV buyers at an extreme disadvantage in the market, by effectively making out-of-state sales much less viable. It would punish buyers who move out of state! Why should it do that? It's a bad design flaw (that this pump costs so much to replace). It would screw those buyers out of a warranty they might need and deserve! I think that the warrantee must be transferable to new owners of those cars, and valid regardless of where we sell or take them. The labor must, logically, be needed because of the part failure, so must also be covered.

BMW made SULEVs for its own benefit, to satisfy a regulator and open a market; it cannot simply transfer the associated liability, without so much as giving notice, to their buyers or to subsequent owners. Think of the bad publicity, not to mention lawsuits that would occur if it did! No, this fix, if it is ever needed, costs about as much as a new motor! That is, it costs way too much! BMW can't possibly think it should saddle owners with it.

I think that most likely this story has grown way out of proportion to the actual problem, because of the cost of the repair, which is outrageous even by BMW standards, and because of the lack of information from BMW. I think it's very likely that BMW will cover affected cars under the 15 year, 150K warrantee, no matter where they are located.

If they don't, there will be hell to pay!

I am an interested party, because I own one...

Last edited by yankee2; 08-27-2017 at 01:21 AM.. Reason: to correct typos
Appreciate 0