View Single Post
      02-15-2012, 03:35 PM   #37
dry_heat
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

I cannot attest to the sound quality of the HK system, as my car doesn't have it, but from what it sounds, it's almost a "must-have" option. The sound system on my '09 is more than acceptable, but I feel that the sound could be "fuller" and a bit clearer, especially when not blasting it.

I can't speak for the PDC, but I've been driving cars with a wide range of visibility over the past 8 years I've been driving, and I've personally never seen the need for this kind of thing. If you can't back up a car without hitting something, I feel something early-on in your driving education was missing.

Now, as far as the Comfort Access, I understand why people don't see the need for it or its value when they don't have it, but having spent a month behind the wheel of my BMW now, I can say that the CA is hands down one of my favorite features. It is a bit buggy sometimes, but not nearly as much Fleethammer has reported (I suggest he visits the dealer if the car is still under warranty).

I can't say how convenient it is to be able to just walk up to the car with my laptop bag and not have to fish my keys out of my pocket to open the doors. The same goes for locking; no key handling required. And since I usually wear cargo pants, I don't have to worry about the bulge of my key chain in my right pocket annoying me.

I haven't had any issues with the car detecting the key fob, and after having the keys slip out of my pocket a couple times, I've never had the car lock my keys inside.

The convenience of being able to turn off the car but leave the stereo on and the windows open, get your stuff, and then get out, only to put your finger on the handle to shut down power and close all the windows is a nice bonus. While I'd never feel like I was missing something by not having the ability to do this, now that I CAN do it, I'd hate living without it!

As someone in a thread I read a while back pointed out, one inconvenience that can arguably be turned into an asset is that if you happen to be driving with your girlfriend/wife/date as a passenger, the CA kind of encourages you to open her door first like a good chivalrous gentlemen since you need the keys on you to open the door. It's that or make her wait for you to reach your door, or simply press the unlock button on your FOB. I'll take the extra moment to open her door first; that can go a long way!

Overall, I'd try to get the HK and the CA and skip on the PDC if possible. You'll live without CA if you've never had it, but once you do have it, it's hard to imagine going back to a life without it.
Appreciate 0