View Single Post
      08-07-2017, 07:20 PM   #4
$iriu$black
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr1 View Post
If you've never been on track before I'd recommend to start with an Advanced Car Control school through BMWCCA, PCA or Tire Rack Street Survival. Although not a necessity, I'd recommend one of those before progressing to an Advanced Driving school, like the upcoming White Mountain Chapter event in Tamworth, NH on October 6th and 7th.

I think many would agree that an open track day like this wouldn't be the best environment to gain meaningful track experience if you have never been on track before. In car instruction (like the aforementioned BMWCCA event) is the best way to learn track/pit etiquette, driving line and to safely explore both your personal comfort level and the car's limits.

Earlier this season I brought my brother out to the BMWCCA event at Watkins Glen. He had no prior experience but is an avid Motorsport fan and was extremely confident. As the saying goes, there are two things men think they are better at than they actually are: sex and racing. After two full days of track experience (half was in the rain and he was driving my car...) his 2 takeaways were (paraphrasing obviously): 1) Holy sh*t, that was humbling and more mentally demanding than I ever imagined, and 2) Thank god I had an instructor with me or I would have been a hazard to everyone.

Reach out any time. I am more than happy to share more information or experiences about BMWCCA and gaining experience on the race track. If you do attend an event look for the FAIL license plate and we'll chat some more.

Thanks for the input Dr1, this is something that I am really interested in doing since I had my car. Just don't have as many car nut friends who can "show me the way" so to speak. Should i be a BMWCCA member? Is that something I get to do w my own car or do they have their own (doesn't matter)?

Thanks again and i will look into that event that you pointed out, maybe i can get a slot.
Appreciate 0